What's new

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • This website is a work in progress at the moment, please let me know of any errors, problems or design issues you find. You can change the page style at the bottom left of the screen by selecting Dark, Pele, Light or Basic. Some of the styles haven't been finalised yet. Let me know which you prefer.

You can find post and view session plans in the Resources and here you can download great sessions. Please feel free to add in some of your favourite session plans here.

Pass or Dribble? 5-11 year olds

snoopjiggyjigg

Administrator
Staff member
Warm up - 20 mins

1524588423876.png
Duration: 20 mins
Equipment: Cones, bibs, balls
Players: 12
Set up
Mark out a 40x40 ft box with the cones.
How to play
8 players have a ball each inside the area, and they can dribble around inside it using different parts of the foot to touch the ball and different skills (drag backs, Cruyff turns, reversed drag back, etc) too.
There are 4 players on the outside of the area who do not have a ball and are free to move around the outside of the area.
Players inside the box are free to pass to the outer players. If they pass to an outer player, then the outer player has to pass back. Players really have to concentrate and look up before picking a pass.
Why use this warm up session?
It allows the players to start thinking about whether to pass or dribble, while allowing them to be creative. It’s a fun warm up routine which gets the players’ heart rate going too.
How it links to the England DNA:
In possession – staying on the ball
  • Promotes creativity
  • Promotes confidence on the ball
Practice - Pass or Dribble?

1524588445006.png

Duration: 30 mins
Equipment:
  • 2 goals (one with a goal keeper, the other by the coach without a keeper)
  • Cones
  • Bibs
  • Bag of size 3 balls or 4 depending on age group of players
  • Set the zones up as per the diagram
Set up
  • 40x60ft area
  • One goalkeeper in goal
  • One defender in zone one
  • One defender in zone two
  • 6-8 attackers in their chosen pairs
How to play
One coach is positioned in the middle of the attackers and in front of the open goal with a selection of balls.
The coach always starts with the ball and passes to one of the attackers who can then dribble or pass to the corresponding attacker.
Attackers have to then progress towards the goal making the decision to pass or dribble, and once at the goal, making the decision to shoot.
Defenders have to try and tackle when the ball is in their zone. If they win the ball they then have to break with speed to try and score in the ‘empty’ goal.
Defenders are not allowed to leave their zone UNLESS they win the ball - they must quickly progress to score in the other goal.
Session Format
  • Focus on the attackers making decisions with the ball
  • Focus on the attackers making decisions when not on the ball (where to stand, in space, support)
  • Focus on defenders making the right decision when to tackle and when to hold
  • Focus on defenders breaking with speed

Why use this session?
This session gives the players the chance to make their own decisions, so there’s no right or wrong decision. Its a fun session which allows the players to express themselves and be creative following the warm up.
Coaching points
Allow the players to begin the session with just the basic instructions and allow the players to have a go.
After a couple of pairs have been through then I prefer to put in some coaching points like:
  • Should I run to the person I’ve just passed too? Allow the players to answer.
  • Where should I run? Into space or behind a defender? Again let the players answer.
  • When should I make my pass, when my partners in space or being marked?
  • Should I wait for the defender to come to me?
  • What should my decision be if i have lots of space in front of me? Pass or dribble?
Then working on the defenders....
  • Should I charge in and dive in to try and win the ball?
  • How should I stand, face on or side on?
  • Should I get low, like a crab?
  • What am I watching - the player or the ball?
There’s plenty of questions to ask the players and this session works by allowing the players to tell you the answers to work it out themselves.

How it links to the England DNA:
In possession

• Retain the ball
  • Be creative
  • Work the space
  • Progression through the pitch
Out of possession
  • Press the ball when appropriate
  • Delay and assess
  • Emergency defending
  • Space awareness